August 2023

Manitoba Trail Riding Club

Meeting Minutes

Date: August 22, 2023

Location: Zoom

Meeting called to order at 7:05 p.m.

Attendance:   Kari Hasselriis, Terry McKee, Brenda Tolpa, Iris Oleksuk, Angela Roberts, Linda Gillies, Mary Anne Kirk

Approval of previous Minutes: Moved by Angela, Seconded by Linda, carried

Additions to agenda:  Fundraising

Treasurer’s Report:

GIC – $2,227.54, Chequing – $3,931.72

4 family members, 29 single members for a total of 37

Receipts: $117.60 for Kings.

Birds Hill Ride Review– Good turnout and the ride went well. – After discussion and at a vet’s recommendation it was decided to discontinue requiring use of the serpentine for the trot out.  It may be used at the vet’s discretion if there is a concern re soundness.  
Grosse Isle Ride Update– Kari gave Linda the ribbons and Ride Manager information for her ride. – Linda has lined up the volunteers needed for her ride: Carol – timer, Mary – scribe, vet – Neil. – The ride will be capped at 25 competitive riders. – Entries will go live on September 5th. – Linda will contact Carrie re rental of the porta-potty -Linda will contact Neil to confirm he is available to vet the ride. – Linda will remind riders to wear a vest or bright colours as it is duck hunting season.  Riders should also be prepared for the occasional sound of shooting in the distance.            Linda
Ride Manager Role and Survey Results– The survey results showed that the two reasons people don’t volunteer to Ride Manage are: 1.  They don’t know what to do and 2. It appears to be  too much work. – To help make the Ride Manager Role less onerous it was proposed that Ride Manager role be divided into three parts so that it becomes more of a “Ride Team”.   Paper Work – post ride info, get permits, line up the vet and volunteers.Camp Manager – Set up and tear down campTrail Marker – Mark trail and line up demarking volunteers. – A Ride Manager could chose to do all three roles or recruit volunteers for the different roles. – This idea will be finalized at the AGM.  If passed the roles could be defined in smaller manuals.  The Ride Manager would be the overall leader.Linda
Quad– A future date will be set for a specific quad meeting to set policy for and use of the new quad.  – It was suggested that a free quad safety course could be held at MHC.  Snacks could be provided.  This could be a prerequisite for using the quad to mark trail. – Dianne from MHC suggested that it may take 5 months before the money is available for the quad purchase. 
      5.  AGM– The AGM will be a catered social evening held at MHC on Friday, November 3. There will be a short AGM with an election, awards and setting ride dates. – There are several nearby pubs (Nonsuch, Patent 5) that could be included in the evening’s events. – Kari will contact DRM to let them know about this event. – Members are asked to suggest names of recommended caterers with Board members. – A budget of $500 was suggested for the AGM and $550 for prizes.          Kari  
      6. Revealing                Points When           Giving Ribbons – After discussion it was decided that if there was a tie it would be announced how the tie was broken.  Points will not be announced. 
      7. Completion           Ribbons – The club will discontinue giving Completion ribbons and they will not be re-ordered.  
       8. Scavenger            Hunt – For future discussion 
       9.  Next Meeting – Tuesday, October 3 at 6:30 p.m. via Zoom 

Motion to adjourn: Moved by Kari, seconded by Terry.

Meeting adjourned: Time 8:40 p.m.